The Minnesota Vikings, who are members of the NFL’s North Division, are a famous American football franchise. They have been members of the North Division since 2002, and before that, they were part of the Central Division.
They won the Championship title in 1969, shortly before the AFL-NFL merger.
Here is a bit of interesting trivia about the Minnesota Vikings:
- The team officially adopted the name “Minnesota Vikings” in September of 1960, as a way to reflect the Scandinavian-American culture that was largely centered in Minnesota.
- The Vikings have being playing in their home games at the MLB ballpark of the Minnesota Twins since 1982, and are attempting to obtain their own stadium.
- Including their 1969 Championship title, the Vikings also have four Conference Championships as well as sixteen Division Championships. They have made it to the NFL playoffs 24 times!
- Their sixteen division wins is the third most of all current NFL teams.
- Vikings team colors are white, purple, and gold.
- Vikings have two mascots. Their team mascot, Ragnar, has been with them since 1994. Joseph Juranitch plays as Ragnar, and claims to be widely recognized all over the world. Their other mascot is “Viktor the Viking”.
- Fans of the Vikings regularly wear “Helga hats” and purple hats that contain horns and blond braids, representing Viking warriors.
Many players, coaches, and owners who spent seasons with the Minnesota Vikings have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Fran Tarkenton, Paul Krause, Gary Zimmerman, Roy Yary, Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Finks (GM), and Bud Grant (former head coach). The numbers that are retired with the Vikings are: #10, #53, #70, #77, #80, and #88.
Current Vikings owner is Zygi Wilf, the son of two Holocaust survivors. His family moved to the United States in the 1950’s. The team’s general manager is Rick Spielman, who use to work with ESPN on “NFL Live”. Head Coach Brad Childress, who recently worked with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Minnesota Vikings fans show a lot of spirit during games, dressing up in their “Helga hats” and “purple hats”. They dress up as Viking warriors, and sing the Vikings’ theme song, “Skol, Vikings”. “Skol, Vikings” has been the team’s theme song since their very first year. It’s always played during half time and when the team scores. The Vikings’ fans also have given the team the nickname, “Purple People Eaters”, “The Purple”, and “The Vikes”.